About Us - Frequently Asked Questions

Clyne Farm Centre - Your Questions Answered

Self-Catering Accommodation

How do I book?
Just click here to book securely online or call us on (01792) 403333. We take a 25% deposit on booking and the balance is due 6 weeks beofre arrival. Full terms can be found here

What time is check in & check out?
Check in time is from 3pm and check out time is 10am. With advance notice you can extend these times for a small supplement. Check in can be booked from 2pm and check out can be extended to 11am. Details on how to pick up your keys will be provided once the balance has been paid.

Do you provide bed linen?
Yes all cottages have fully made up beds with duvets. Each bed has two pillows but please ask if you need additional pillows or duvets.

Do you provide towels?
We provide a hand towel and a bath towel for each person. We ask that you don't take these to the beach or use them to bath the dog!

Do you provide cots and highchairs?
We can provide cots and highchairs on request. We have mainly travel cots because they are easy to assemble and move where you want them in the cottage. We do not provide cot linen or duvets as we find that people prefer to bring their own.

Can we wash clothes on site?
All properties apart from Byron's Barn have washer/driers in the kitchens. On site we have a laundry room which has a washing machine and tumble drier.

What cooking facilities are provided?
Each cottage has a gas cooker with a four ring hob and oven, apart from Barn Owl Lodge which has an electric cooker. They each also have a microwave and a toaster. Large groups have the option of hiring our main Centre kitchen and dining room. 
Each cottage is fully equipped with all standard cooking utensils. If you want to check if a cottage has a particular utensil please ask.

What else is included?
Rental costs include bed linen, electricity, heating and towels. We also provide a 'starter pack' of essentials like toilet paper, black bags and washing up liquid. Once these have been used up you will need to provide your own.

Are your properties inspected?
We are inspected primarily by the Wales Tourist Board. Our Cottages have all achieved a 4 Star rating, apart from Byron's Barn which has achieved a 3 star rating- it has similar facilities to all the others but is smaller.

What is this free Residents Taster Activity Session?
In the Summer Holidays if you book self catering accommodation for a week or longer you will receive, subject to availability, a free multi activity taster session. This usually takes place on the Monday after arrival, and will usually involve 3 activities. For example Archery, Indoor ClimbingHorse Riding or Bushcraft. The session will take approx 1 hour in total and both children and adults can join in (subject to usual minimum ages for activities). You can try all the activities or just one or two depending on what is offered on the day. It's a great way to meet other people who are staying at the Farm.

Can I bring my dog or cat?
Yes! We welcome dogs and cats at Clyne. If you are staying in our cottages there is a supplement of £5 per night per animal. We ask that your four legged friends are kept off all the furniture, out of the bedrooms, and are kept under control around the horses and other animals. Animals should not be left alone in the cottages for long periods of time. There are lots of lovely local walks nearby and many of the beaches on Gower are dog friendly. Ted the Clyne Farm dog loves meeting new friends! If you call into the office there will be free dog treats available and fresh doggy water.

Can I bring my horse or other pets?
Yes! Just ask! We take each type of animal request on a case by case basis. As per dogs and cats there may be a supplement per night per animal to pay.

If you are staying in The Keepers Cottage or Barn Owl Lodge you have the option to bring your horse or pony on holiday with you. There is an enclosed paddock next to the cottages. There is a supplement of £5 per night per horse/pony. 


What paperwork do I need to complete to take part in activities?
Everyone who takes part in our activities must complete a Registration Form. If you are a regular visitor to us the form will need to be updated annually. There is a separate form for horse riding which asks some extra questions about your riding ability. You will be given the appropriate form to complete on your arrival. Alternatively you can download the form here and bring it with you. For groups we recommend that you email the forms to us in advance. That way you can get started on your chosen activity as soon as possible!

Where do the activities take place?
It depends. Horse riding, archery, indoor climbing, Challenge Valley assault course, raft building, bushcraft/survival, and most problem solving challenges take place at the main Farm site. Other activities such as gorge walking, surfing, rock climbing and rock hopping take place at sites away from the Farm. If you don't have your own transport available just ask us to arrange.

Birthday Parties

Do you provide food?
Our birthday party package includes food; chicken nuggets, sausage or cheese and tomato pizza. All served with chips and squash. One choice only for the whole group.
Bushcraft & Woodland Parties include campfire sausages, bread roll & squash. No other choice.

Do you provide cakes or party bags?
We can for an extra charge but usually parents prefer to supply their own.

Can parents watch or have a cup of tea?
Under 7 year olds; adults are encouraged to stay with the group (approx. 1 to 4 children).
For over 8s adults do not need to stay unless they wish to. They are welcome to watch the group enjoying their party (but not interfere, our instructors are very experienced in handling groups of all ages). If you want to stay in the warmth of the dining room or coffee shop, tea and coffee can be served (often the parents of the party child arrange this for the adults who stay).

Challenge Valley Assault Course

Is Challenge Valley really muddy?
Yes, we have proclaimed since 1989 that Challenge Valley is the Muddiest Assault Course In The World! No one has ever disputed it! That is what makes it such good fun - it's not physically challenging - but great fun for all ages from 8 years upwards. It is muddy all year round, so although the sun may be shining in August you're still going to get dirty!

What equipment do you need?
Your oldest clothes! Wear a swimming costume underneath. Don't forget your shower kit, a towel, a full change of clothes to change into after your shower, and a black bag to take the old clothes away when you've finished!

Why do you have to bring a swimming costume?
Two reasons - we like you to take as many of your muddy clothes off outside the shower block as possible. There are separate male and female changing rooms but the showers are communal so some people prefer to keep their costume on when showering.

Will I be able to complete the course?
Yes! Challenge Valley can be completed by anyone over the age of eight years. It is suitable for all ages and abilities and it's not a race! If you're in a group everyone helps everyone else. We've had all kinds of groups in amongst the mud, from wheelchair users, deaf children, blind adults, people with learning disabilities. You don't have to be superfit to take part. Challenge Valley is not like a hardcore Tough Mudder or equivalent, it is the original muddy assault course!

How long will the course last?
An average group will take around one and a half to two hours. Challenge Valley birthday parties take two and a half hours, which allows time for icebreaker games and food.

What is the age limit on Challenge Valley?
The lower age limit is eight and there is no upper limit. We've had pensioners over eighty years old do it. Because it is a team event and not a race all participants are helped by other members of their group.

Horse Riding

Why do you need my height and weight?
We need to know your height and weight so that we can match you to the most appropriate horse or pony for your size. Again please be honest - we don't care if you have put on a few extra pounds over Christmas!

What clothes should I wear?
Warm, comfortable clothes. Thick jeans are not ideal as sometimes they can rub and are uncomfortable when wet. Waterproof tops and gloves will help keep wind and cold at bay.

What shoes or boots should I wear? 
Ideally you should wear riding boots, or shoes/boots with a small heel. If that is not possible then you can wear narrow wellies. 

Do you provide riding hats?
It is a requirement of our insurance that all riders wear riding hats to the latest British and European Standard (PAS015 with the BSI Kitemark). If you have an older hat (and we've seen some old ones!) or if we cannot be certain that your hat is to the correct standard we will ask you to wear one of ours.

Do you have to be experienced to ride at Clyne Farm?
No, we cater for riders of all standards - after all, everyone has to start somewhere. Lots have riders have had their very first experience of riding a horse or pony at a birthday party at Clyne Farm Centre, and have gone on to take riding qualifications at college and university.
When you book your ride you will be asked your level of experience. You will also be asked to complete a Registration Form which will assess your riding experience. Please be completely honest at all stages, as exaggerating any aspect of riding competence will only put yourself and other riders at risk.

What is the difference between a hack and a trek?
A lot! We do not offer treks, we only offer hacks.
A trek is a ride where horses walk at a steady pace, the horse is in control and the ride follows a set route. The rider does not control the horse but just enjoys the scenery.
A hack allows control of the ride by the rider and the ride will proceed as fast as the least competent rider in the group. Depending on the experience of the riders hacks can range from led walks to fast rides with trots and canters. 

What duration are the rides?
We start with a fifteen minute introductory led walk for little ones (usually 2-4 year olds). We offer hacks and lessons which can be from half an hour to two hours + in duration. The most popular are one hour hacks or lessons especially for people who do not ride regularly.

What time should I arrive?
Riders need to arrive at least fifteen minutes before their ride time so there is time for them to check in at reception, and be fitted for hats. If you arrive after your booking slot you will miss your ride with no refund available. On your first visit you will need to complete a short Registration Form. This will need to be updated annually. You can download the form here and bring it with you to speed things along.

Are lessons indoors?
No, all our lessons are outdoors in our 20m x45m all-weather arena which means you have to wrap up warm in winter. All lessons are supervised by our experienced staff. The arena has a sand and rubber chip surface. The sand is a special quarried sand which remains firm and doesn't blow around in the wind.

Are the horses OK in traffic?
Most of our rides are traffic free. Our horses are generally well behaved but remember they are animals and can be unpredictable.

I'd love to go on a beach ride - do I have to be experienced?
You have to be confident of handling the horse or pony on the beach. Beach rides are definitely for the more experienced rider! You must be able to confidently canter and gallop. Minimum age limit is 12 years old. Access to the beach is limited during the summer months.

Are you inspected?
Clyne Farm Centre is a member of the Wales Trekking and Riding Association (WTRA). We adhere to all safety regulations and are inspected annually.